Sunday, August 17, 2008

Not much happenin' and my love for tradition

My life has been pretty uneventful this last couple of weeks. Not much to say other than I am very excited for August to end and September to begin! These are the reasons I am excited for September:

1. September means the beginning of fall for me.
2. September means Halloween is not far away (I love Halloween!)
3. The South Plains fair is coming and I can eat funnel cake and fried pies without feeling too guilty. You know you live in Lubbock, Texas when the fair is the highlight of your entertainment!
4. The corn maze will be opening for me to wander through in the dark.
5. Cooler weather will be coming soon!
6. I love the colors of fall and pulling out my cool weather clothes.
7. Football season - I don't necessarily like watching football but I like to make fun food to eat while watching football. You know buffalo wings, lots of chips and dip, etc. It makes me hungry just thinking about it!

And there are about a hundred other little, silly reasons why I love September/fall.

I never realized how much I love and look forward to traditions until I started thinking about all the things we need to do in the next couple of months because we do them every year. Every September my mom and I go to an arts and crafts festival here in town and I look forward to it every year. Every year, Jeremy and I go to the corn maze and spend an evening trying to decipher clues and make our way through the corn. Every year I eat lunch at the fair at least once. I count on these events to make my life a little more interesting. But isn't that what tradition is all about? Creating memories, making life more interesting, making relationships stronger, looking forward to the good things in life. I love tradition and hope that I can share my love for tradition with my children as they grow up.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love fall too! The fact that I can anticipate a reprieve from 90 to 100 degree temperatures every day for the entire summer doesn't hurt my love of the season either!

C'mon September.....Oh, around here the break from the heat starts in October. C'mon October....

Alan & Amber said...

ohh, all that makes me homesick for Texas. I love all of those things and I totally miss the parties you guys throw, too. I love the fall!