Friday, December 5, 2008

The Carol of Lights!

Jeremy and I were able to go to the Carol of Lights this evening for our date night (which has become almost non-existent). We were lucky enough to spend our night out on the town while Spencer stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Davis (thanks, Cindi and Whiz!).

I SO look forward to the Carol of Lights each year since it helps to put me in the mood for Christmas. For those of you who do not know what the Carol of Lights is, it is an annual event at Texas Tech each year where they have a carol concert and lighting ceremony to light up the more than 25,000 Christmas lights that cover the main part of campus. This year the Carol of Lights was celebrating 50 years and I was glad to celebrate the tradition. I happen to be quite a fan of tradition!

I must say that the main highlight of the night for me is always the rendition of "Oh Holy Night." That song is my favorite Christmas song and I am touched every time I listen to it. They always sing all the verses of the song at the Carol of Lights, which you don't often hear anymore. I was particularly struck this year by the phrase in the song "Christ is the Lord!"

In a world where referring to the Christmas season is now made politically correct by "Happy Holidays," no longer "Merry Christmas" and where we must strive to eliminate anything from our celebrations that may 'exclude' another person (i.e.- Christmas parties have now become Winter parties/festivals so as not to exclude those who do not celebrate Christmas), I was amazed that an institution of higher learning would allow a song such as "Oh Holy Night" to be sung in such a pubic setting. I was so proud to stand and hear that song sung tonight! I was so grateful that I could hear Christ's divinity proclaimed. And I was so grateful to have felt the warmth of the Spirit even though my toes were numb from the cold.

So in summary, it was a great night and I was glad that Jeremy and I could share it together. Merry Christmas, Everyone! And make sure you turn up the radio/TV next time you hear "Oh Holy Night" played this Christmas season - It will make you smile!

3 comments:

allie said...

i wanted to go to the carol of lights. jealouuuuuussss. i'm glad you had such a nice time.

Gaylene said...

Oh man, I'm missin' out. I sure miss Texas.
Merry Christmas!!

Campbell Family said...

I just love your blog! I love to see what you're up to and to be reminded of all the fun things in Lubbock. Glad you guys had a fun date night!