You may have noticed that my baby is
becoming a big boy.
He just started telling me, "No Mom, I do it!"
The desire for independence is being vocalized loud and clear.
My baby is growing up :( .
1. I did not choose the room color. Since we are living with my in-laws it is not my place to repaint the room. They had just painted it before we moved in with them.
2. This room has a lot of different functions.
3. There needs to be lots of storage since we are trying to live our lives in two bedrooms worth of space after previously living in 1200 sq. feet of space.
4. This is not my ideal vision for Spencer's big boy room but I am trying to make do with what I have. What I am very grateful to have.
I found it at Goodwill in a hideous mat and frame.
I reframed it in an existing aqua colored frame I had that I spray painted black.
I love the quote.
"To become a REAL BOY you must prove yourself Brave, Truthful, and Unselfish."
The print is from Mary Englebreit (love her!) and the quote is from the movie Pinnochio.
I paid $2.99 for each set of 3 boxes in various graduated sizes.
Also, a red canvas bin I got for 50% off at Michael's is great for organizing.
These pull in the 3 main colors I wanted to use for the room - red, navy blue, and green.
Definitely hung high enough that only mommy can reach it :)!
All of the red and blue storage bins came from Michael's 50% off sale.
More of the blue and green thrift store boxes hold Spencer's music cds.
This glider/ottoman came from Craigslist about a year and a half ago.
I am itching to spray paint the wood a darker brown.
I haven't had the courage/time to actually do it.
We say our family prayers and read scriptures around the ottoman each night, followed by bed time stories gliding in the chair. Sweet memories linger here.
The wicker magazine rack on the floor holds Spencer's books and came from Michael's 50% off sale too.
Very vintage looking and adds a little more red to the decor.
I paid $3 for it and it holds our reading lamp and a red tin (from Target's dollar spot, but not really a dollar - $2.50) of books.
I am looking for a way to jazz up the lamp.
Maybe a ribbon tied around the shade? Spray paint?
A good dusting of the lamp shade was the first step.
Nicole cleaning tip: Easily dust off lamp shades with one of those rolling lint brushes that you tear the sticky strips off after your done. I have a little travel sized one that is the perfect size to roll over lamp shades. It takes off a good amount of the built up dust and is easily disposed of.
I paid $2 for it.
I could not resist it.
Even if Spencer never sits in it, I love it.
It was in great condition and after a little furniture polish and some "Goo Gone" to remove a few stickers it is perfect.
Although I do have the urge to paint it.
Jeremy told me I should fight the urge.
Everything doesn't have to be painted.
Finish it off with this handmade bunny (made for Jeremy when he was young by his grandma. love it.) and it is the perfect little reading spot.
The remaining design issues:
Still outfitted in the aqua colored, ocean motif bedding I picked out before Spencer was born.
Not my favorite anymore.
Since I plan on waiting as long as possible to transition Spencer to a big boy bed, I will just deal with the aqua until I can pick out some bedding for a big boy bed.
I purchased it at the same garage sale as the rocking chair and paid only $1 for it!
I was really excited to find it! It helps add some more touches of green.
However, I need to place it out of reach of little hands.
In the words of Spencer, "This breakable!"
And I would really like to preserve it if possible.
I am thinking of hanging a wooden shelf to display it on.
What do you think?
If you are still with me after this long post - thanks for hanging in there with me.
I can truly say that decorating is one of my passions.
I love transforming a room.
I love searching for the finishing touches.
It makes my heart happy!
Thanks for letting me share my passion with you!
3 comments:
So cute! Love the Coca Cola Crate!!
Very cute! I need to start garage sale-ing! :)
Great Job!! It looks awesome! Do you want to come do my whole house?
Post a Comment